Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day 1
    Arrival to Kenya and the Flying kites site way surpassed my wildest dreams. Who could have predicted seeing my first wild giraffe, or the indescribable welcoming ceremony we received from the students?
   After riding for about an hour and a half in a rickety "Mataru" and passing the beautiful Rift Valley, we arrived in Njabini where many of the locals ran to the roadside to see the very rare sight of a white person, or "Wanzungus" as they refer to us. As we pulled up to FK the sound of 71 school children singing in Swahili was all you could hear. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't have held back my tears. The sight of these stunning faces smiling back at you was one of the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

Day 3
    After 3 days at Flying Kites I have begun to get a hang of the life style I will be living for 8 months.
    Wake up is around 7 o'clock depending on how loud the roosters crow. And from there is a breakfast which has for me been hard boiled eggs (which takes about 30 minutes to make at such a high altitude). Then, I have so far, either helped out in the class room or tutored. Because the children have about 4 breaks a day during the school day, I get plenty of time to play football (soccer) or tag out on the yard. I also get to go exploring with the animal lover out of the kids. He has shown me chameleons and monkeys. After lunch the same routine starts again. Dinner is prepared by the matrons which usually consists of rice and beans.
    The landscape is unbelievable. I have never seen such a beautiful place. On site we have an amazing view of "Elephant Mountain" which is named after the peak which looks exactly like an elephant, also, for the elephants that inhabit the mountain. I went for a run yesterday and by the end had about 10 village children join in and follow me all the way back to the FK site. I didn't run today however, because one of the girls surprised me this morning with the very nice deed of washing my running shoes in a bucket of water, they are still soaked!
   The kids refer to me as "Auntie Nyera" because one of the founders of the group apparently looks like me. No one believes me when I say I am not related to her and have not actually ever met her haha.
    Tonight is talent show night where most of the skits seem to be about Hanah Montana. It is starting soon so I have to go, but I am well and miss you all at home very much and can't wait to see you in June. Love and Kisses - Stephanie or "Auntie Stephanie"

3 comments:

  1. STEPPHH- THIS IS ALL SO GREAT TO HEAR! you sound like your having an amazing time. pleasee pleeasse keep blogging, im following you now. Haha no need to read my blog tho, its for a class at champlain and not too exciting, espeically compared to yours. MISS YOU AND LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words, Stephanie. I can feel the excitement and wonder in your fresh eighteen-year-old eyes and heart. Please keep it coming. Cracker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, sounds like you're having an amazing time! It's so great to hear from you via the blog-keep it up!! Love you !!

    ReplyDelete